Want to spread the word about your upcoming event?
Create an event page
Promoting your event starts on your own website with an "event page." An event page is a single page about a single event with a single URL on the sponsoring organization's website (NOTE: Must be a URL on an official university website. No google calendar URLs). This "event page" can be a news item, (see this example: Eighth Annual Selu Lecture is March 24, 2021), or, if this is a recurring event, you may choose to create a page that is part of the menu structure (see this example: Visiting Writers Series).
Before you begin, note that some events have multiple sponsors. In these cases, you should coordinate with the website managers of the other sponsors to determine which website will host the event page. The other websites will then simply link to it.
Include key information
- Event title
- Date and time: Make sure to include the year.
- Location: Link to an online map, where possible.
- Tickets/Cost of Attendance: If there is no cost, indicate the event is "free of charge and open to the public."
- Contact email and/or phone number for miscellaneous user questions
- Images: Make any images clickable to high-resolution versions.
If applicable, specify this information
- Speaker bio or additional info: This can be short and link to the full bio elsewhere
- Parking: Indicate special parking information, link to parking.appstate.edu
- More information: Books to plug? Link to publisher.
- About: This section likely is already written; check the Today website.
Work with your Communications liaison
Communications liaisons can facilitate the event promotion process and help connect you with the resources that you need.
Update your event page - post the reason for cancellation and add "Cancelled" to the title of your event page and Google calendar listing.
The same channels that you used to promote your event should also be used to announce its cancellation, so don't forget about emails and social media.
Promote your event!
Appalachian can only promote events that are directly related to or presented by a campus entity.
- Start with your Website (see above)
- Campus - Digital signage
- Social media - requests for social media posts and share
- Email Faculty/staff – go to https://announce.appstate.edu
- Students – use Engage to share events
- Email Parents – contact Parent and Family Services at email@example.com
- Email Alumni – contact the Appalachian State University Alumni Association at firstname.lastname@example.org
- University calendar - use Google calendar to share your event