The UComm Writing Team uses the following criteria to determine when a story request qualifies for publication to Appalachian Today, the news and event hub for the university. Appalachian's strategic initiatives are key.
What makes a good story
- Aligns with or positively demonstrations one or more of Appalachian's strategic initiatives:
- Academic excellence.
- Support for scholarships.
- Rural and first-generation student recruitment/retention.
- Diversity of thought, belief and community.
- Community and civic engagement.
- Health, wellness and safety.
- Undergraduate research.
- Global learning
- Is timely.
- Has an impact, either local or national.
- Has a recruitment angle.
- Has a fundraising/giving angle.
- Has human interest.
- Is helpful — "news you can use."
- Is a current trend.
- Related to issues (and our solutions).
Strong story ideas
- As specific as possible; include details.
- Suited for visuals (photography, video, audio).
- Suited for multiple audiences.
- Can be used in multiple channels (web, print, email, social).
- Evergreen (can be used for a long period of time).